Eating “clean” is a habit I strive for, especially living with my competitive mixed-martial artist boyfriend, Rich. With our busy schedules, however, it is sometimes hard to eat the healthiest food. Rich found a quick and easy recipe on a friend’s IG, and we decided to give it a try. I did tweak the recipe just a tad by adding the garlic, eggplant and onion but I loved the way it turned out:
Sweet Potato, Egg and Avocado Recipe:
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 in cubes
1 avocado, sliced or diced
2-4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
1 cup diced eggplant
chili power, turmeric, red pepper to taste
1. Boil sweet potato cubes for 10 minutes, or until soft and ready to eat. Drain.
2. While boiling the sweet potatoes, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add minced garlic and red onion, and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add eggplant to the skillet and cook until soft.
4. Remove the garlic, onion and eggplant mixture from the skillet and scramble the eggs. I used the same pan to give the eggs a great flavor!
5. Once eggs are scrambled, turn off the heat and add the cooked sweet potatoes, garlic/onion/eggplant mixture to the eggs. Add avocado and gently stir everything together. Sprinkle with chili powder, turmeric and red pepper to finish.
We have made this recipe several times at home and it is becoming a go-to meal for us. The dish is time and cost effective, plus it is full of vitamins, protein, and healthy fats. Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory spice (perfect for athletes!) AND it adds a nice subtle flavor to the meal. Best of all, the entree is filling and tasty.
Nothing beats a good homemade meal!