I haven’t registered for any races in the spring yet, but I’m hoping to make the LA Marathon on March 9, 2014 my second full marathon! I’m still a little hesitant to register because I was forced to pull out of the Portland Marathon this year after injuring myself-only weeks after paying the non-refundable registration fee. However, there are 18 weeks until race day, and today is day 1 of my spring marathon training camp!
To help me keep my training on track, stay healthy and remain injury-free, I brain-stormed a list of 20 “rules” I will follow over the next 18 weeks as I prepare to run my next full marathon!
- Run 4-5 times a week (per training plan)
- Strength train
- Cross-train (bike, swim, elliptical)
- Yoga 2X’s a week
- Hill train once a week
- Speed work once a week
- Work on negative splits
- Allow walking breaks
- Take long runs slower
- Replace running shoes at 300+ miles
- If it hurts, R.I.C.E.
- Wake up by 10:30 am on run days (I’m a bartender, trust me this is not sleeping in)
- No caffeine after the sun goes down, herbal tea only
- No alcohol except on Sundays (rest days), holidays and special occasions (i.e. my birthday I WILL have a glass of pinot!)
- Eat as clean as possible, and keep eating out at a minimum
- Foam roll & ice after every run
- Take vitamins & fish oil every day
- Find new running routes
- Accept that I will run/feel better on some days than others
- Enjoy the journey; I’m doing this because I love running, not because I have to
Any suggestions of things I should add? Anyone else thinking about running the LA Marathon?
Happy training everyone!